Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish! :)
What a fun theme this week!! Ok, ok. Here goes. :D
1. Have loads of fun. Normally, you'd see this at the end of a set of instructions, like, "Oh, and, I almost forgot, but you should have fun!" But no. I think it needs to be first. Because if you're not having the time of your life, or at least a little bit of fun, then it might not be worth it.
2. Post about the books/book related subjects and objects you love. Don't write reviews for, say, paranormal romance books just because they're popular and you think it will boost your blog. If you don't like paranormal romance (like me!) then don't even think twice about it. I was tempted to do this with certain genres when I first started out, but I'm glad I didn't give in! If you like historical fiction, read/write about historical fiction. You'll find your niche and everyone will be so pleased!
3. Blog hop. This is one thing I WISH I would have known about when I started. I didn't start blog hopping until 7 or 8 months after I started my blog, which is one of the reasons I only gained about 6 followers in that time...and about 5 were friends. I didn't know how to market and I was kind of afraid of what the internet would hold. But I'm so glad I branched out and started following other blogs/commenting/participating.
4. Comment comment comment!! Leave comments all over your favorite blogs. Let other bloggers know how much you love their reviews, memes, and updates by leaving meaningful comments. It's a good way to let bloggers know you're out there and that you appreciate their work - just don't be too stalkerish. Feel free to leave your blog address after the comment. Something I often do is write: "Sierra @ Yearning to Read" and below it put my web address. That way the blog owner feels no pressure to visit or follow, but will probably do so. Ever heard "What goes around comes around"? Well, Mimi Valentine has a fabulous blog and totally is an example of this. Comment on her blog, and she'll head on over to yours and comment on your most recent post!! It's a fun way of playing tag! ;)
5. Host giveaways and sign up for giveaway hops to attract loads of traffic. Because you're giving away free books, you can always require something in return: follow my blog, sign up for email updates, follow on Facebook, on Twitter, comment on a review, etc. Or all of those. It gives people 1 entry or many - that's up to you! - and everyone wins.
6. Use Goodreads. I have found so many great blogs and gained new followers through the wonderful magical world that is Goodreads. I like to have lots of Goodreads friends! I also LOVE Goodreads so that I can see what new books are coming out long before the release and have a great way of contacting authors to ask for ARC's. Author pages on Goodreads link to their websites/blogs and those have contact pages. It's seriously amazing!! And you thought Facebook was addicting.... ;)
7. Post often. 3-5 posts a week is typically a good amount. If you're posting regularly and consistently your readers will know you're serious and will be drawn back to your blog again and again! It is also better to do this when you want to start receiving ARC copies from authors/publishers. They see you're consistent and that's a huge turn-on for them!
8. I can't believe I'm saying this...but you should get addicted to NetGalley like the rest of us. It's a seriously fun way to get books for review. You might never want to leave the website, and will be trigger happy and requesting every book that looks interesting for the first month or so, and then you'll only get a tiny bit better for the rest of your blogging career and only request three-fourths of the books you find interesting. The only downside to this is that you have to either read it on a Nook or Kindle or eReader of sorts...or read it on the computer. So if you're okay with any or all of these options, then join and have a blast!!
9. Create your own memes and allow people to use your memes, as long as they link back to you. Kind of like Top Ten Tuesday! I haven't done this myself, but I think I want to start doing it with at least one of my memes...I just haven't decided which one yet. If you start a meme and have people link back to you with a Meme Button or just a link, then you will gain followers like this, I promise!
10. Create a blog button! Look below for the link to how to do it... It's not too hard, just a little bit of photographing, editing, and HTML. If you have one, people can post your blog button onto their blogs and you can gain more traffic through it!
Want to learn some fun new blogger tricks & tips? Head on over to the fantabulous world of Small Review to read some really really cool posts!!